Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Adjustments make for funny moments...

So.

One of the greatest transitions that I have experienced in the past 12 months is a major move from my always home of Charleston to now lay my head under the bright lights of Music City, USA.  As I have adjusted to a new place and people, there have been maaaaany a moment where the only things getting me through were Jesus, big ol' spoonfuls of Nutella (straight. out. of. the. jar. I'm classy like that.)  and an attempt to find humor in this whole "adjustment" thing =)  Besides the countless "real" lessons I have learned and continue to learn in this season, I feel like moving from one city to another has provided countless funny moment and, generally, can provide some really great insights into the less heavy parts of your life.  Here are just a few of the little gems that I have learned about myself and this nutty little city I now call home...

*  The traffic.  

I am not sure where everyone is headed but I OBVIOUSLY wasn't cool enough to get an invitation.  I once hit a traffic jam at 9 p.m. on a Tuesday night.  The one pictured above was on a Sunday afternoon.  A traffic jam on a random Sunday afternoon? That's just wrong on so many levels. That leads me to....

*  My sense of direction....
 I have apparently WAY over-estimated my ability to find my way around.  I have always been proud of my sharp and very reliable sense of direction. Well. That has been tested just about daily...  I think that I am just now getting to the point where I don't need to use the GPS to find the bathroom.

*  Style and my general coolness level...  

In Charleston, I think I lived 360 of my 365 days in some combo that included my very worn in Rainbows and a T-shirt.  If I was going out, I might even get real dressy and throw on a Mossimo pocket T..... I know. I'm a diva =)  Anyway, since moving to Nashville I have discovered that some areas of the world actually have a style that requires more than being two steps out of your pajamas. 

*  Tattoos.... 

This could probably fall under the style and coolness category BUT I am giving it its own because... It is possible that I am the only person in this city without ink. Seriously.  Tattoo parlors are just about as numerous as Starbucks.  I knew I was in trouble when I discovered that most people have "tattoo guys" of their very own!  Ask someone here about their fabulous artwork and they are likely to answer with, "Oh thanks! You should call my guy!" I don't even have a dentist here. A tattoo guy?!?! Mercy.... I have a lot of catching up to do.

Finally......

I have to close this post with a shout out to my fabulous husband....He has proven himself to have a level of patience that could - and should - be recorded in the Guiness Book of World Records.  As I've navigated the move, there have been some really wonderful and some slightly less than wonderful days.  (Important detail - I have a sliiiiight penchant for the dramatic. Lucky man.) In those more trying moments, my precious husband never once locked me out or even tried to have someone take away the crazy person parading as his wife.  Love that man =)

Kristi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read - and comment! I love hearing from you!!